"a strong client base attracted to the set by its competitive fees." (Chambers and Partners)
Who we are
Local Government law forms one of our core areas of work. Legal 500 (2008) described us as ‘tremendously popular’ and in the most recent edition (2009) we are praised as ‘very professional and local government-friendly'. We feel this reflects our understanding, from working with a large number of public sector and private clients, of the practicalities of working in the local government and public service framework.
“It has a remarkably wide reach in this sector” (Chambers and Partners 2008). The number of colleagues from local authorities whom we met at events like the Solicitors in Local Government Annual Weekend School in March 2009 bears this out.
What we do
- We act for over 300 local authorities
- We have extensive experience of defending and challenging decisions in a wide range of fields including planning, housing, highways, environment, property, compulsory purchase, employment, community care, children’s services, immigration, human rights and licensing
- We appear in all courts and tribunals
- We prosecute and defend regulatory crime and enforcement matters
- We have extensive experience in advising on corporate issues such as local authority powers, and the full range of constitutional, procedural and conduct issues facing authorities
- We have particular expertise in the local authority power to promote well-being
- Our specialist expertise includes Freedom of Information, Data Protection and the Environmental Information Regulations
- We regularly provide training to both members and officers, either through individual training sessions in-house or at our own seminars, or at those where we present jointly with solicitors’ firms. See the Events section for fuller details.