Aimed at all social landlords, this seminar will provide an overview of the basic principles underlying disrepair claims, and when to defend them.
Andrew Lane and Zoe Whittington of the Cornerstone Housing team will be covering the below programme:
09:15 Registration (9:15 – 9:30)
09:30 Why do we hate disrepair – an introduction (AL)
09:45 What is disrepair? (ZW)
- How does it differ from statutory nuisance?
- Edwards v Kumarasamy  UKSC 40
10.15 The early response & pre-action work
11:00 How is quantum assessed?
- Wallace v Manchester City Council (1998) 30 HLR 1111
- Moorjani v Durban Estates Ltd  1 WLR 2265
- Simmons v Castle Uplift
11.45 Other Issues
- Limitation and Personal Injury
- Set-off defences
- Costs and cost changes