Assistant Team Leader
Job title: Assistant Team Leader
Reports to: Team Leaders and Senior Clerk
Based at: Cornerstone Barristers, 2-3 Gray’s Inn Square, London
Salary: Dependant on experience
Due to sustained growth within Chambers, we are looking to expand the clerking team. This newly created position will play a vital role in supporting our barristers and Chambers’ clerking team. In addition to day-to-day clerking and business development, the new appointee will assist in the development of each member’s practice.
Cornerstone Barristers is a leading set of Chambers, having been in practice for over 125 years, with 61 members: including 14 silks. Chambers is consistently recognised for its legal and advocacy expertise in all its specialist practice areas, for both private and public sector clients.
Our friendly team of clerks is experienced and dedicated to providing high standards of service for clients and members. All our clerks are expected to be familiar with the practices of all our barristers.
The appointee will be accountable to the senior clerk and the team leaders for providing a first class professional and business-like clerking service to current and prospective clients and members. They will also have direct responsibility for ensuring the following specific tasks are completed:
Summary of role:
- General administration duties to support all members of Chambers wherever necessary; general diary entries, lodging court documents via emails and via CE File, entering cases and papers onto the Lex fees & diary management system and sending out the correct contractual terms dependent on the funding arrangement etc.
- Fee negotiation across all levels of seniority, practice area and type of work.
- Attending Chambers business development and marking events/seminars both internally and externally.
- Managing Clerk inbox emails and dealing with or distributing accordingly.
- Proactively looking ahead in the diaries to work out who needs work, if any fees still need agreeing, and trying to fill any gaps that may be present.
- Assisting solicitors with any queries in relation to new or existing matters.
- Entering all new enquires as opportunity cases, with all the correct information and monitoring this to make sure everyone is using it correctly.
- Assisting with the training and development of more junior staff.
- Contacting solicitors to chase outstanding papers and anything else which may arise.
- Assisting with fixing in various Court divisions.
Aptitude and experience
- 3-6 years clerking experience is preferable for the role. Must be experienced in all aspects of the job.
- A high standard of written and spoken English is required as business development is a key part of this role.
- Experience in Chambers’ core practice areas is preferred but not essential.
- Articulate and able to demonstrate initiative and work as a team player.
- Strong academic record (A level or equivalent minimum).
- Perform tasks accurately and efficiently under pressure.
- Prioritise workload and multi-task.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- A positive “can do” attitude.
- Team player.
- Can learn quickly and adapt to new processes.
Equality & Diversity Statement
Cornerstone Barristers are an equal opportunities employer, and we are committed to diversity amongst its staff and members. We therefore encourage and welcome applications from women, people of minority ethnic origin, people with disabilities and LGBT+ candidates, as well as candidates from other groups which are underrepresented in the legal sector.
Application closing date: Friday, 5th May 2023 at 12pm.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to the Senior Clerk, Elliot Langdorf. Please ensure your covering letter details your suitable experience, current remuneration package and possible start date.