We are a leading public law barristers chambers in which excellence is achieved across a range of practice areas. With more than fifty barristers and offices in London, Birmingham and Cardiff, we provide specialist legal advice and representation nationwide, in areas including administrative and public law, planning, property, housing, licensing, health and social care, commercial and regulatory law.
We offer expertise at all levels of seniority, from QCs to newly qualified barristers, and at all levels of the court system, from County Court to the Supreme Court.
Our barristers are highly regarded and are often involved in ground-breaking cases. They are not just legal experts but sector specialists, meaning that clients receive advice from- and are represented by people who understand their perspective, their business and their challenges.
Our clients come to us from different business sectors, including government, development, infrastructure, housing, leisure, energy and finance. Our barristers are experienced, therefore, representing clients with different needs: private companies, local authorities, public bodies and individuals. They can often be found acting for or against central or local government on a variety of complex issues.
How we work
Members of Cornerstone Barristers are self-employed, independent practitioners, sharing premises and administration, but not their practice's profits.
Cornerstone Barristers and its members are regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and our members are listed on the BSB's Barristers' Register page. As required by the GDPR, our barristers and practicing pupils are individually registered with the ICO.
All our members have professional indemnity insurance with the Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund (BMIF) as required by the BSB.
Members are supported by our team of clerks who are the point of contact for clients. They act on behalf of the barrister by providing fees estimates and budgets for each instruction.
Our members have an hourly rate for written work and advice, based on the market rates, which takes account of the barrister's seniority, expertise and the complexity of the case. However, our clerking team is open to discuss, where appropriate, alternative fee structures, including fixed or capped fees.
Fees for hearings will ordinarily take the form of a brief fee which is an agreed fixed amount to cover pre-hearing preparation and attendance in court on the first day of the hearing. We will charge a refresher fee for any subsequent days of the hearing (usually a fixed fee). Cornerstone Barristers members are willing to consider certain cases on a conditional fees or damages-based agreement basis.
VAT will be added where applicable. In some circumstances, expenses incurred by barristers will be charged upon agreement with the client. We are happy to provide VAT number(s) on request.
Professional, licensed access and public access clients are welcome to contact our team of clerks and request a quotation for the legal services we provide. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We aim to reply within a few working days, certainly within 14 days.
What our clients say about us
"They are all exceptional in terms of their service - they go far beyond what you ask." Chambers and Partners (2021)
"It is an excellent set of chambers with capable barristers" and "individuals of the highest calibre across a wide range of calls." Chambers and Partners (2021)
Our clients highlight our "good continuity in planning and local government work, combined with practical knowledge." Chambers and Partners (2021)
"They always come back very promptly and they have very good relationships with all their instructing parties. All the clerks are extremely friendly and they have a really collegial ethos." Chambers and Partners (2021)
"Senior clerk Elliot Langdorf was at the end of the phone whenever required, and he ensured that timescales were properly communicated and met." Chambers and Partners (2021)
"A friendly clerking service able to resolve issues very efficiently." Chambers and Partners (2021)
"The clerking is superb." Chambers and Partners (2021)
"The clerks are courteous, helpful and responsive to our needs at all times. The whole team is very friendly and proactive." Chambers and Partners (2021)
"The clerking is very efficient. I almost exclusively use them for all my housing and civil litigation work, and this is partly because of their clerks." Chambers and Partners (2021)
"Always provides exceptional service and appropriate levels of expertise." The Legal 500 (2020)
"The clerks are prompt with regard to e-mail enquiries and they answer the phones swiftly" The Senior Clerk, Elliot Langdorf is praised for being "commercially aware and very accommodating." Chambers and Partners (2019)
- "Their top strengths are transparency and accessibility and the quality of their advice." Solicitor
- " The clerks are always willing to assist and go above and beyond to try and deal with issues, providing barristers at very short notice." Chambers and Partners (2019)
- "They are probably one of the best clerking teams I work with - they are incredibly helpful and responsive." Solicitor
- "They are always my first choice to go to and if there is genuinely no one available I am a little bit upset that I have to go to another chambers!" Solicitor
- "What the clerks are very good at doing is recognising that someone at a particular number of years call might be suitable to go for rather than pushing you to someone more expensive than you need." Solicitor
- "It's a very efficient service. I can always get through to someone if I need to speak to someone and I'll always get a call back so in terms of reliability it's up there." Solicitor
- "My view is they are probably one of the best clerking teams I work with - they are incredibly helpful and responsive." Solicitor
- "The quality of the barristers' advice and work, and the standard of their advocacy is absolutely excellent. They instil total confidence in the client and are wonderful at providing practical solutions to complex issues." Chambers and Partners (2017)
- "A go-to set for planning, environmental and public law matters, and one of the best housing law chambers, with a good range of quality barristers." Chambers and Partners (2016)
- "A good set to approach if you have complex high-end judicial review work, or have to defend tricky positions." Chambers and Partners (2016)