A core specialism of Cornerstone Barristers is our work acting for and against local authorities. More than 300 local authorities instruct us.
Our work spans the full range of public law concerns, including strategic issues, vires, councillors’ conduct and finance, as well as specific areas such as housing, planning, health and safety, and licensing. Members also act for local authorities in relation to rating and valuation issues.
The team is a leading authority on local government law and areas of law of particular interest to local authorities. We publish the Cornerstone on series of practitioner texts, including Cornerstone on Councillors’ Conduct, Cornerstone on Anti-social Behaviour (2nd Ed.), and Cornerstone on Social Housing Fraud.
Our barristers regularly provide training for local authorities and we work on and off local authority tenders.
A number of our barristers have worked in local government departments prior to joining the Bar, giving us an in-depth understanding of the needs and challenges facing local government. We understand the constraints within which the public sector works, and take a practical and pragmatic approach to our work.
Excellent strength and depth in most, if not all, areas of local government and public sector law.Legal 500 (2022)
Cornerstone are my go-to set for local government property law issues.Legal 500 (2023)
Very strong on public law generally, particularly local government.Legal 500 (2023)
Excellent for local government law – particularly housing and licensing.Legal 500 (2023)
A very highly regarded top set of chambers in the housing and local government field. Very professional, approachable, dedicated and friendly team to work with.Legal 500 (2023)
- Kuljit Bhogal KC writes comment article for The Times on safe access zones at abortion clinics 15 Feb 2024
- Section 117 after-care statutory guidance – a missed opportunity?06 Feb 2024
- Was The Spectator right to mock councils for calling for a Gaza ceasefire?25 Jan 2024
- Cornerstone on Councillors’ Conduct and Standards in Public Life (Second Edition)13 Dec 2023
- Cornerstone Barristers ranked as a leading set by Chambers & Partners 202419 Oct 2023
- Flood risk: The sequential test and the relationship between PPG and NPPF13 Feb 2024
- Matt Hutchings KC presents “fierce defence” of women’s football academy12 Feb 2024
- The importance of time depth in a valued landscape, the rural setting of listed buildings and developing in accordance with an adopted spatial strategy23 Jan 2024
- Planning hearing to consider impact of proposals on heritage assets with royal connection18 Jan 2024
- Large scale solar farm given permission on best most versatile agricultural land21 Dec 2023