Our team of property barristers covers all aspects of property law, including real property and commercial and residential landlord and tenant. We regularly appear before the higher courts and specialist tribunals on behalf of major landowners, developers, and landlords. We have in-depth experience of acting for local authorities and registered providers in complex property matters, as well as for private companies and individuals.
By linking in our planning and public law expertise, we offer a comprehensive service to private developers and planning authorities in relation to large housing and infrastructure projects. We are well placed to resolve complex problems requiring expertise ranging across property, town and country planning, highways, commons and village greens, and housing law.
We are also experienced in property mediation and arbitration, often resolving complex property disputes at an early stage to their client’s advantage.
We pride ourselves on providing user-friendly legal and strategic advice that helps clients reach commercial and practical solutions to legal difficulties.
Some examples of property issues on which our barristers advise include:
- Rights of way, restrictive covenants, rights to light, commons and village greens, adverse possession claims and ransom strips.
- Options and contracts for the sale of land, boundary disputes and property-related fraud.
- Timeshare-related disputes and advice.
- Commercial landlord and tenant issues such as dilapidations and damages claims, forfeiture and surrender, rent reviews, and claims for new tenancies under the LTA 1954.
- Leasehold and tenancy issues including service charge disputes, enfranchisement, rights of first refusal and appointment of managers.
- Advisory work including the interpretations of leases, transfers and development agreements.
- Insolvency in property or landlord and tenant context.
- Nuisance, trespass (including mass trespass) and property-related professional negligence.
- Rating and valuation issues, acting on behalf of local authorities, government departments and private organisations.
Helpful and supportive set with positive, polite and friendly people.Legal 500 (2022)
Go-to set for local government property law issues.Legal 500 (2023)
- Cornerstone Barristers at MIPIM 202412 Feb 2024
- Josef Cannon to be appointed King’s Counsel19 Jan 2024
- Ranjit Bhose KC to speak at the National Leasehold Group Conference15 Nov 2023
- Sarah Salmon speaking at the Property Bar Association (PBA) Conference on 8th November 202303 Nov 2023
- Scamell and Gasztowicz on Land Covenants, third edition31 Oct 2023
- High Court appeal on one of the largest known tenancy deposit claims under the Housing Act 200421 Feb 2024
- Matt Hutchings KC presents “fierce defence” of women’s football academy12 Feb 2024
- Reasons to be cheerful: guidance on adequacy of reasons in civil penalty notices30 Jan 2024
- Tribunal upholds Council’s decision to include ‘drinking man’s boozer’ on list of assets of community value13 Dec 2023
- Banning Order upheld by Upper Tribunal12 Dec 2023