ASSISTANT TEAM LEADER – BARRISTER CLERK
SALARY: Competitive – dependant on experience
DEADLINE – Friday 22nd January - 10am
Barristers Clerk - Assistant Team Leader
Cornerstone Barristers is an established leading set of chambers, having been in practice for over 125 years. Chambers has 58 members, including 12 silks who are well known for their work in planning, property, public law, local government, housing, community care, licensing, regulatory law and commercial matters advising private and public sector clients.
Our friendly team of clerks is experienced and dedicated to high standards of service for clients and members. All our clerks are expected to be familiar with the practices of all our barristers. For day-to-day clerking, members are allocated to one of two teams. Each team has a mix of barristers of all years of call and areas of practice. We are appointing a clerk to assist the team leader of one of the two teams, who, in addition to day-to-day clerking and business development will work to assist in the development of each barristers practice.
The appointee will have:
• Significant clerking experience (5-8 years);
• A high standard of written and spoken English
Key Clerking Responsibilities:
• Diary Management - Ensuring that instructions are allocated effectively and efficiently, always having regard to Chambers' fair allocation of work policies. The appointee will be actively involved in fee negotiation at all levels, and billing
• Leadership - The appointee will have primary responsibility for the training and development of the junior clerk on the team.
• Business Development - The appointee will have an active part in business development activities and will attend both internal and external events to represent chambers.
• Barrister support and practice development – The successful candidate will participate in regular Practice Review meetings for barristers in the team.
• The successful appointee must be able to build excellent relationships with barristers, staff and clients alike and have the character to lead through the successful implementation of ideas.
• Gravitas, professionalism and commercial acumen.
• Strong communication skills.
• Comfortable giving and receiving constructive feedback.
• Excellent team player
• Have a positive outlook and ability to remain calm and reassuring under pressure.
• Must appreciate and support Chambers' policies on diversity and equality, ensuring the fair allocation of work and be aware of the possibility of unconscious bias on the part of clients and the clerking team.
Equality & Diversity Statement
Cornerstone Barristers are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to diversity amongst its staff and members. We therefore encourage and welcome applications from women, people of minority ethnic origin, people with disabilities and LGBT+ candidates, as well as candidates from other groups which are underrepresented in the legal sector.
Application close date 10am – Friday 22nd January 2021
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to Clare Bello CEO firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure your covering letter details your suitable experience, your current remuneration package and possible start date.