Planning and Environment
Cornerstone Barristers has some of the most highly regarded barristers in the planning and environment sector. Our barristers combine specialist expertise with exceptional market knowledge to deliver strategic legal solutions. From our offices in London, Birmingham and Cardiff we advise a wide range of clients from large property developers and public bodies through to small businesses and individuals.
Our barristers are regularly involved in planning enforcement appeals and inquiries, development plan inquiries and in planning challenges before the law courts at all levels.
Our knowledge spans the full spectrum of planning and environment issues, including related areas such as public law, property, energy, and local government law. We are specialists in compulsory purchase and compensation cases.
Particular expertise includes:
- Local plans
- Green Belt and countryside
- Compulsory purchase and compensation
- The historic environment
- Retail and commercial development
- Highways and transport infrastructure
- Energy and renewables
- Minerals and waste
- Habitats and species protection
- Environmental impact assessments / Strategic environmental assessments
- Commons, town and village greens
- Rights of way
Our barristers have experience acting across multiple business sectors, including development, infrastructure, energy and leisure, often acting on major inquiries and nationally significant matters.
Recently this has included:
- The rejection of four onshore wind farms following Wales’s longest ever planning inquiry;
- Challenges to highly controversial proposals concerning fracking sites in Lancashire;
- Conjoined challenges over significant basement developments in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea; and
- The HS2 railway Hybrid Bill.
The team is the leading authority on planning issues and recently published the Second Edition of Cornerstone on the Planning Court. The book provides a detailed review and analysis of the work of the Planning Court, as well as a practical and tactical guide to planning judicial review and related statutory challenges.
One of the top planning sets in London and has a strong environmental law team.Legal 500 (2022)
- Appealed Enforcement Notices and Lawful Development Certificates28 Jul 2022
- Examination into the largest solar farm in the uk26 Jul 2022
- Major legal challenge launched against decision to allow an exploratory oil and gas well in Surrey Hills22 Jul 2022
- Remember to Serve Planning Statutory Reviews on Time!20 Jul 2022
- Tom Cosgrove QC, Ashley Bowes and Ben du Feu have been elected or co-opted onto the Planning & Environment Bar Association (PEBA) committee19 Jul 2022
- Land East of Highwood Quarry, Park Road, Little Easton19 Jul 2022
- Legal action threatened over week-long consultation on large new oil and gas subsidy05 Jul 2022
- Richard Ground QC has major success in prior approval application24 Jun 2022
- Scope of permitted changes of use under paragraph 150(e) NPPF clarified07 Jun 2022
- Important High Court Judgment on Call-in Procedure and Tilted Balance06 Jun 2022