Inquests and Inquiries
Our barristers have been instructed in some of the most complex and high-profile inquests and inquiries in recent years, both in the UK and further afield.
We act for local and central government, public bodies, companies, insurers and private individuals on inquests and inquiries across a broad range of areas, including historic child abuse inquiries. We advise on challenges to decisions of coroners by judicial review, and subsequent civil claims and criminal actions.
Our practice is strengthened through our relevant expertise across associated areas such as judicial review and human rights, health and social care and regulatory law.
Major inquests and inquiries in which our barristers have been instructed include:
- The Shoreham disaster inquest: Acting for some of the families of the victims.
- The Grenfell inquiry: Acting for one of the major interested persons involved in the inquiry
- The Southall train crash Inquiry
- The Hatfield train crash Inquiry
- The Victoria Climbie Inquiry (advising social workers)
- The Ladbroke Grove Rail Crash Inquiry
Other types of inquests in which members are regularly instructed on include:
- Inquests following the death in custody, in a health setting, in the workplace, in a holiday or leisure setting and transport-related deaths
- The adequacy of assessments and care plans for the provision of residential care
- Good practice in the provision of services to vulnerable adults and children in a residential setting
- Health issues in residential care homes
- Delineation of responsibilities between local authorities and other service providers
Helpful and supportive set with positive, polite and friendly people.Legal 500 (2022)
- Gerard Forlin KC speaks at Air India flight safety seminar29 Jan 2024
- Shoreham Air Crash: Gerard Forlin KC examines important lessons from inquest at HSLA event17 Jan 2024
- Gerard Forlin KC at the 23rd World Congress on Safety & Health at Work12 Dec 2023
- Leading health and safety lawyer Gerard Forlin KC to speak at the International Pilot Peer Assist Coalition (IPPAC) conference03 Nov 2023
- Gerard Forlin KC to speak at the International Bar Association (IBA) Annual Conference26 Oct 2023
- Investigation clears Mayor of London over “far-right” ULEZ comments05 Dec 2023
- Inquest into the Shoreham Airshow Disaster begins30 Nov 2022
- Three-week inquiry opens into mixed-use scheme opposite Hampton Court Palace14 Jun 2022
- Shoreham air crash: 10th preliminary hearing15 Feb 2022
- Divisional Court – new and important judgment regarding aviation and coronial law07 Feb 2022