Inquests and Inquiries
Our barristers have been instructed in some of the most complex and high-profile inquests and inquiries in recent years, both in the UK and further afield.
We act for local and central government, public bodies, companies, insurers and private individuals on inquests and inquiries across a broad range of areas, including historic child abuse inquiries. We advise on challenges to decisions of coroners by judicial review, and subsequent civil claims and criminal actions.
Our practice is strengthened through our relevant expertise across associated areas such as judicial review and human rights, health and social care and regulatory law.
Major inquests and inquiries in which our barristers have been instructed include:
- The Shoreham disaster inquest: Acting for some of the families of the victims.
- The Grenfell inquiry: Acting for one of the major interested persons involved in the inquiry
- The Southall train crash Inquiry
- The Hatfield train crash Inquiry
- The Victoria Climbie Inquiry (advising social workers)
- The Ladbroke Grove Rail Crash Inquiry
Other types of inquests in which members are regularly instructed on include:
- Inquests following the death in custody, in a health setting, in the workplace, in a holiday or leisure setting and transport-related deaths
- The adequacy of assessments and care plans for the provision of residential care
- Good practice in the provision of services to vulnerable adults and children in a residential setting
- Health issues in residential care homes
- Delineation of responsibilities between local authorities and other service providers
Helpful and supportive set with positive, polite and friendly people.Legal 500 (2022)
- Paul Marshall’s address at Queen’s University Belfast – 30th April 202226 Apr 2022
- Net Zero and downstream emissions in Court of Appeal this week15 Nov 2021
- 9th preliminary hearing with Gerard Forlin QC acting for the Families of the Deceased30 Jul 2021
- Cornerstone Barristers’ Kuljit Bhogal is sworn in as a Recorder of the Crown Court14 Jun 2021
- Gerard Forlin QC awarded President’s Commendation at the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management’s ‘2020 Excellence Awards’12 Oct 2020
- Three-week inquiry opens into mixed-use scheme opposite Hampton Court Palace14 Jun 2022
- Shoreham air crash: 10th preliminary hearing15 Feb 2022
- Divisional Court – new and important judgment regarding aviation and coronial law07 Feb 2022
- Shoreham Air Crash disaster – Eighth Hearing27 Apr 2021
- Shoreham Air Crash Disaster – 7th PIRH hearing23 Dec 2020