Zoom webinar: Permitted development rights: opportunities and pitfalls
05 May 2022, 11:49 pm
SpeakersMichael Bedford QC, Dr Ashley Bowes
Whilst the major planning reforms have become bogged down in political controversy, the Government has introduced significant changes to the permitted development regime, in part under the guise of responding to the Coronavirus pandemic.
Some changes have been the subject of (unsuccessful) legal challenge. The scope of the regime now reaches far wider than it did for those who grew up with the 1977, 1988, 1995, or even the original 2015 Orders as their bedtime reading.
This 1-hour webinar, presented by Michael Bedford QC and Dr Ashley Bowes, examines key aspects of the current regime, including:
- Commercial to residential rights: conversions and new dwellings
- Adding residential storeys to dwellings and apartment blocks
- Prior Approval requirements and the ‘principle’ of development
- What is the role of the NPPF in p.d. decisions?
- Town centre/commercial freedoms
- Heritage limitations and the question of setting
- Time limits and notification requirements
- Rights: Community: Action v SSHCLG and CAB Housing v SSHCLG decisions
SLIDES – Click here to download a copy of the slides used in this webinar.