Cornerstone Barristers has significant experience in the development sector, from complex residential developments through to nationally significant commercial projects such as airports.
Our team can advise on all aspects of a development, bringing together expertise in areas such as planning, property, environmental law, licensing and commercial law. Our comprehensive expertise makes us invaluable partners, whatever the scope and scale of the development. We are also specialists in compulsory purchase and compensation cases.
We act on behalf of major landowners and developers, as well as local government and public organisations on issues such as:
- Promoting compulsory purchase orders to secure regeneration of under used land including housing estates and town centres
- Resolving disputed interpretations of covenants/conveyances
- Retail capacity and impact issues
- Energy developments such as fracking
- New settlement and urban extension proposals
- Applying for or resisting the variation or discharge of restrictive covenants
- Negotiation of planning obligations
- Rights of light and construction
Recent work includes:
- Securing planning permission for the conversion of the Newport Retail Park into a new Sports Direct mega store.
- Promoting the London Gateway Local Development Order as part of DP World's London Gateway deep water port and Business Park.
- Securing planning permission for some 425 dwellings on a 20 hectare Greenfield site in Hampshire.
- Securing the making of the Norwich Northern Distributor Road Development Consent Order; a project of national significance.